Aberdeen will find out who they will face in the UEFA Conference League when the draw will take place at UEFA headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland at lunchtime today (12.30pm).
The Dons are in the final group, Group 9 (ball number 3) and have been seeded alongside:
- 1. Hadjuk Split (Croatia)
- 2. Vojvodina (Serbia)
- 4. Copenhagen (Denmark)
- 5. Rosenborg (Norway)
and will face one of the following unseeded teams :
- 6. FH Hafnarfjördur (Iceland) / Sligo Rovers (Ireland)
- 7. Tobol Kostanay (Kazakhstan)
- 8. BK Häcken (Sweden)
- 9. Torpedo-Belaz Zhodino (Belarus)
- 10. Panevezys (Lithuania)
In all, 108 teams will play in the ties on 22 and 29 July 2021.
How the draw works
There will be two paths at this stage of qualifying: the Champions Path and the Main Path.
The three teams eliminated in the UEFA Champions League preliminary round (played on 22 and 25 June) and 15 teams eliminated in the UEFA Champions League first qualifying round (played on 6/7 and 13/14 July) all transfer to the UEFA Europa Conference League second qualifying round.
- The 15 clubs eliminated in the first qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League are seeded for the purposes of this draw. The other three are unseeded and divided equally between the three groups.
- The UEFA administration has formed three groups for the Champions Path.
- Two pots are prepared for the six sides in Group 1, one for the five seeded teams and the other for the unseeded team.
- The balls containing the seeded teams are placed in a bowl marked ‘Seeded’ and the ball containing the unseeded one is put in a bowl marked ‘Unseeded’.
- One ball is taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl, where they are shuffled. The first team drawn will play its first match at home against the second team drawn.
- As there are no more unseeded sides, the four remaining Group 1 balls are then drawn one after another to complete the pairings (open draw). The first team drawn will play the first match at home, against the second team drawn. Likewise, the third team drawn will play its first match at home to the fourth team drawn.
- The above procedure is then repeated to determine the pairings for Groups 2 and 3.
The ten winners of the ties on 22 and 29 July will advance to the third qualifying round Champions Path.
The 57 teams entering at this stage will be joined by the 33 first qualifying round winners on 8 and 15 July.
- The clubs will be split into two categories, seeded and unseeded, in accordance with the club coefficient rankings established at the beginning of the season. If any club in a first qualifying round match has a coefficient that would entitle it to be seeded for the second qualifying round draw, the winner of that match is automatically seeded for the draw.
- The UEFA administration has formed nine groups for the main path, each with an equal number of seeded and unseeded sides (five of each in every group).
- All the clubs in each of the nine groups are randomly assigned a number: 1 to 5 for the seeded teams and 6 to 10 for the unseeded.
- Two bowls are prepared, one for the seeded teams (five balls containing slips numbered 1 to 5) and the other for the unseeded (five balls containing slips numbered 6 to 10).
- A ball is taken from each bowl and placed in an empty bowl, where they are shuffled. One of the two balls is drawn at random, then opened to display the number it contains. The second ball is drawn and opened to complete the pairing. The result applies to all nine groups.
- For example, if the first ball drawn contains the number 2 and the second the number 8, the clubs that have been assigned the numbers 2 and 8 in each of the nine groups will play one another. The first ball drawn, here containing the number 2, designates the home team for the first leg in all nine ties. The same procedure is carried out with the remaining balls to complete the pairings.
The winners of the ties on 22 and 29 July will advance to the third qualifying round Main Path.
Matches for the UEFA Conference League will take place on Thursdays alongside the UEFA Europa League games, with the final taking place in Tirana on 25 May 2022.
First qualifying round draw: 15 June
Second qualifying round draw: 16 June
First qualifying round: 8 & 15 July
Third qualifying round draw: 19 July
Second qualifying round: 22 & 29 July
Play-off round draw: 2 August
Third qualifying round: 5 & 12 August
Play-offs: 19 & 26 August
Group stage draw: 27 August
Group stage: 16 & 30 September, 21 October, 4 & 25 November, 9 December
Knockout round play-off draw: 13 December
Knockout round play-offs: 17 & 24 February
Round of 16 draw: 25 February
Round of 16: 10 & 17 March
Quarter-finals & Semi-final draw: 18 March
Quarter-finals: 7 & 14 April
Semi-finals: 28 April & 5 May
Final: 25 May (National Arena, Tirana)